Sunday, February 21, 2010

What's that you say, Sir Indefatigable?

Why hello, everyone.

This prompt involves song lyrics and Phil Collins. I have to preface it by saying that it is no way intended to be ironic or tongue-in-cheek or McSweeneys-ish or side-eyed or anything like that. For real. Basically it is motivated by my Gen-X personal history, which was periodically crosscut by Mr. Collins' musical oeuvre. I've always loved his songs, and it just so happened that "Take Me Home" came up twice on my car radio this past week. There's something about hearing his voice and music while driving alone late in the eve-n-ing......

Anyhow. Here's the prompt:

1. View the video for "Take Me Home":


2. Read through the song lyrics:
Take that look of worry I'm an ordinary man They don't tell me nothing So I find out what I can There's a fire that's been burning Right outside my door I can't see but I feel it And it helps to keep me warm So I, I don't mind No I, I don't mind Seems so long I've been waiting Still don't know what for There's no point escaping I don't worry anymore I can't come out to find you I don't like to go outside They can't turn off my feelings Like they're turning off a light But I, I don't mind No I, I don't mind Oh I, I don't mind No I, I don't mind So take, take me home Cos I don't remember Take, take me home Cos I don't remember Take, take me home Cos I don't remember Take, take me home, oh lord Cos I've been a prisoner all my life And I can say to you Take that look of worry, mine's an ordinary life Working when it's daylight And sleeping when it's night I've got no far horizons I don't wish upon a star They don't think that I listen Oh but I know who they are And I, I don't mind No I, I don't mind Oh I, I don't mind No I, I don't mind So take, take me home Cos I don't remember Take, take me home Cos I don't remember Take, take me home Cos I don't remember Take, take me home, oh lord Well I've been a prisoner all my life And I can say to you But I don't remember Take, take me home...

3. Write/make/do something that is either a) inspired by this song or b) uses at least one line of lyrics from the song.

Yep. That's pretty much it!

5 comments:

bezdomnik said...

"Yu've been down at the pub, havn'tchu?"

heh.

kelly said...

I love the fact that you noticed that.

Isn't it great, how they shot this video all over...

bezdomnik said...

Yeah, I was wondering how they might have done that... shooting scenes for the vid while he was on tour before the release, or something?

Jess said...

OK I am so behind but holy shit do I love this prompt so much. I think it might help me with my dissertation too. Holy shit.

kelly said...

That's awesome, Jess. Makes me happy to hear that. :)